Whenever Amazon receives inventory that was returned by a customer, FBA Sellers are charged a fee by Amazon to hold onto those extra products. Often times, those returned products may be damaged, missing parts, or the wrong item entirely. SellerBench created a tool that enables any member of an FBA Seller's team to personally document returned inventory that has a problem. This ensures that Amazon reimburses the seller for any fees that were wrongfully charged on any mismanaged returns.
Given that anybody on an FBA Seller's team could be documenting inventory returns, the tool had to be quickly accessible while having a modicum of security. Additionally, there were many steps to correctly document products so the tool had to be intuitive, allowing a user to move through the process quickly and move onto the next item.
Our approach was to have the tool live as a mobile-web site. FBA Sellers would be able to send out a link to the tool and each team member would have a dedicated password to login to the Team Account. The documentation process would be designed to only take 6 or less steps.
I began wireframing using Whimsical, following spec sheets provided by the team. Whimsical allowed easy collaboration and review between myself and the SellerBench team. The goal of the wireframes were to visually establish what each step in the documenting process would look like and how users would be prompted to continue forward.
With the general user flow established in the wireframes, I moved onto Figma where I built out a series of high fidelity prototypes. I reviewed each prototype with the SellerBench team and made changes based on feedback and collective critique.
First round of prototypes showed the necessary functions but lacked any momentum and indication of how many steps were left in the process.
The red buttons didn't feel cohesive with the design and was more distracting than beneficial, given the other buttons on the page.
I designed progress bar so users could better track their steps and visually confirm where they are in the documentation process.
The red buttons were replaced with blue ones, offering a better "next" or "back" selection experience.
Lastly, the tool site was relabeled as "FBA Removals Helper". It would be more important to indicate users on what this tool was in relation to their FBA Seller team, rather than emphasize who made it (SellerBench).
The focus of this project was about taking a process with many micro-steps and condensing it into an intuitive and consistent documenting experience. As a designer, I had to restrain myself from making the interface overly "designed" and fixated on simple elements in order to not clutter the screen. It was a great lesson in rapid prototyping and working cross-functionally with developers looking for a functioning product.